Yup, I'm droppin' deets. Use these quick tips to burn fat faster!
Listen, I know what's it's like to want the weight gone like yesterday. When you're sick and tired, you're really sick and tired! You want a new life and body, NOW! Here's the thing: fad diets and extreme workouts don't work long term because they just aren't sustainable. BUT there are some simple, time-tested tricks that the pros uses to stay "on point."
I spend hours each week pouring over the latest research and scouring the internet for weight loss secrets. At the end of the day, I find that weight loss (and maintenance) is simple but not easy. Keeping off the pounds is challenging for everyone, so it pays to play smart.
5 Weight Loss Tricks You're Not Using (But Should Be).
1. 16 oz. of water before every meal. Drink water before eating and eat less. I know it sounds too good to be true but this easy diet trick has some research to back it up. In 2010, a study featured in the Obesity journal found that adults who drank 16 oz. of water before a meal consumed less calories at the meal and lost more weight over 12 weeks than the group who didn’t drink water before eating. Nice, huh? So drink up.
2. Eat a power breakfast. The National Weight Loss Registry (yes, there is such a thing) reports this: Successful losers eat breakfast! Now in case you're wondering what I mean by successful try this on for size: Registry members have dropped an average of 66 lbs and kept it off for over 5 years (something most people will tell you is impossible)! But these ladies and gents are proving most people wrong. You can too. For other tips from The Registry, click here.
3. The Tie-Over snack. While some experts will have you believe that snacking is a no no, I highly recommend at least one snack a day - between lunch and dinner. Why? Hunger is one of the top reasons for going back to an unhealthy diet. But chronic hunger is really a a sign, that your diet is imbalanced or inadequate, which ultimately backfires. How? By causing your body to conserve energy and preserve fat, the exact opposite of what we are trying to accomplish. So, I recommend that clients consume a balanced "tie-over snack" between 3 PM and 4 PM (or about three to four hours after lunch) to avoid those crazy hunger pangs...and overeating at or before dinner.
4. Brushing your teeth after dinner. This sneaky slim down trick generally works for one of two reasons: 1) we've been conditioned not to eat after brushing or 2) a minty fresh mouth quite frankly ruins the taste of many of our favorite foods. The whole point of eating chips, cookies, etc. is to enjoy the taste. If you know you will not enjoy it, what's the point? So use that to your advantage. After dinner, brush your teeth. It's an easy way to signal to your brain that the kitchen is closed.
5. The Streak. I've been at this lifestyle change game for a minute (read my story here)but to tell you the truth sometimes "the streak" is the only thing that keeps me going! It's a simple way to encourage consistency and in this game, consistency counts. So on Sunday I plan my week and aim to maintain a certain number of workouts in a row or healthy meals in a row. It's not that I don't ever take a break - I do. I have 2-3 treats a week and take 1-3 days off from exercise a week (depending on my schedule). The goal is to avoid unexpected breaks. As long as I stick to my plan, I'm golden. I call it being consistently imperfect and it's one of the secrets to my success.
Until next time,
coach tam's Blog
40-something who loves food, fitness, and fun!