7 Simple Things You Can Do to Stay “On Point” Over the Holidays
1. Don’t forget your H20! Drink 2-3 full glasses of water in the two hours prior to sitting down for your Thanksgiving meal. It's a simple way to curb your appetite.
2. Do go easy on the alcohol. There is truth in that “blame it on the alcohol” song! Alcohol can stimulate hunger cravings and lower your inhibitions making it harder to stick to your eating plan. Give yourself a one drink max.
3. Don’t take a nap after dinner! Instead, rev your metabolism by getting the family together for a walk. Or get moving by getting an early start on your holiday shopping. No, it’s not the same as a full blown workout but it does help.
4. Do enjoy a salad before dinner. Another simple way to help curb your appetite and limit high calorie foods.
5. Don’t forget the veggies (and no Grandma’s sweet potatoes don’t count). Fill up 2/3 of your plate with delicious, low-calorie vegetables. Go easy on butter and cheese as they help pack on the pounds. For bonus points (and a lower calorie count), go green with your veggies.
6. Do experiment by swapping old calorie laden recipes for healthier ones. If you’re concerned about how they will taste, make a small version now so there are no surprises. Who knows? Maybe you'll stumble on the next great addition to your yearly Thanksgiving tradition!
7. Don’t rush through your meal. While food is often the center of attention on Thanksgiving Day, the fellowship is equally if not more important. Pace yourself by putting your fork down between bites and joining in on the conversation. People who eat slower eat less.
coach tam's Blog
40-something who loves food, fitness, and fun!