Why I Love Detoxes
- Quick results. I have only done one but I lost 14 pounds in just 21 days and went down a full dress size.
- Instant confidence. Seeing such a drastic difference in how you look and feel is amazing! You can't help but walk around with your chest out and head high.
- Motivational appeal. The premise is that the quick results will give you a boost and motivate you to continue leading a healthy lifestyle, ultimately resulting in further weight loss and fitness gains.
Why I Hate Them at the Same Time (based on MY experiences)
- Lack of sustainability. Despite continuing to eat well and returning to an aggressive workout routine, I was not able to maintain the results.
- Guilt. Over the next couple of months, I slowly saw the weight and inches creep back on. I felt like I failed even though I was 1) still at a healthy weight and 2) maintaining many of the newly established habits.
- De-motivation. The lack of sustainability and ensuing guilt eventually ended up being a de-motivator. I struggled mentally for a while and haven't done a cleanse since.
Something Things to Think About:
- Does the detox really help you deal with the underlying issue (s)?
- What is the true motive for doing it? Better health or a quick fix?
- Does it create a perpetual cycle? Where every 3 to 4 months you find yourself back in the same place looking for the next cleanse?
- Since is no scientific evidence that detoxes are necessary or beneficial, is it more hype than help?
Everyone must come to their own conclusion.
As for me? I'm still undecided. Every time I consider doing one I end up going back-and-forth in my mind. I'm not sure when or if I'll ever pull the trigger.
To be continued.